Blog Home

How To File My 2012 Taxes in 2014

How To File My 2012 Taxes in 2014

File your late 2012 taxes in 2014.  If not, the late penalties will continue to grow.

Procrastination happens. Maybe you planned to file your 2012 taxes when they were due, but ended up putting it off until a later date. Now, it’s 2014 and you still haven’t filed your 2012 taxes. Sound familiar? The good news is you can file 2012 taxes in 2014 with PriorTax. 

If filing your 2012 taxes was put on the back-burner, you don’t have to put it off any longer and can file your 2012 taxes in 2014. Yes, it will be considered late. However, it’s much better to file late, than to never file at all!  If the process of filing your late taxes is causing you mild stress, take a deep breath and simply follow our provided steps.

What are the Steps to File My 2012 Taxes?

If you want to finally get your 2012 taxes filed this year,  the following steps will help;

  1. Create an account  with PriorTax. To do so,  select the prior year  from the drop down menu and create a User ID and Password.
  2. Be sure to have any important information on hand, including the past year’s W-2s, social security numbers, etc.
  3. Start filling in the online application. The tax return application is designed  to make filing your taxes a simple and quick process!
  4. Once you’re finished filling in the online application, be sure to submit your information.
  5. Your return will be reviewed by our tax experts and a copy of your completed 2012 return will become available for download.
  6. Print your tax return and mail it to the IRS. This is the most important step. (The deadline to e-file 2012 taxes has passed, explaining why you’ll have to use snail mail.)
  7. Pay your tax due or wait for your refund.
  8. Take another deep breath and realize your late taxes are filed! 

If you are expecting a refund, you won’t have to pay any penalties or interest. If the opposite is true and you do owe, you may have to pay failure-to-file penalty, a failure-to-pay penalty and interest (that’s a lot of money). Considering these penalties increase as time passes, it’s best to file and pay your tax due as soon as possible.

Can I Still Get My 2012 Tax Refund?

You still can collect your 2012 tax refund in 2014. The IRS allows up to three years (from the tax season’s deadline date) to get your refund. However, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t file and collect your 2012 refund as soon as possible.

Sooner or later you will have to file your 2012 taxes. Get it out of the way now! If you have any questions while filing your late tax return with PriorTax, our tax experts are available via phone, live chat and email to help you.

Updated: 1/24/2014; Photo via Asja Boros on Flickr

Tags: ,

5 Responses to “How To File My 2012 Taxes in 2014”

  1. Emmanuel Swindler says:

    Good post. I will be going through some of these issues as well..

  2. Nicholas says:

    The tax deadline is almost here and i still haven’t filed my 2012 taxes. Do I have to have them in before the April 15th deadline? Or because they are already a year late do I just file them at anytime? If the former is the case how do I get an extension? You’re help is greatly appreciated.

    • admin says:

      Hi Nicholas,
      For 2012 returns, the April 15 deadline does not effect you. Since the 2012 return is already late, it doesn’t really matter when you file (unless you have tax due then your penalties will increase as time passes). Regardless, I suggest filing your taxes sooner rather than later so you can be caught up.

  3. Jhoanna Almonte says:

    I filed for my 2012 taxes this year how long does it take to get the refund back ?

    • admin says:

      Hi Jhonanna,
      Since you need to paper file prior year returns, it will take much longer than e-filing current year taxes. I would guess somewhere around 6-8 weeks.

Leave a Reply