Blog Home

How To File 2012 Taxes in 2015

How To File 2012 Taxes in 2015

Feel like giving up? Take a deep breath: you can still file your late 2012 taxes!

Procrastination happens. Maybe you planned to file your 2012 taxes when they were due, but ended up putting it off until a later date. Now, it’s 2015 and you still haven’t filed your 2012 taxes. Sound familiar? The good news is you can file 2012 taxes in 2015 with PriorTax. 

Yes, it will be considered late. However, it’s much better to file late, than to never file at all!

If the process of filing your late taxes is causing you mild stress, take a deep breath and simply follow our provided steps.

What are the Steps to File My 2012 Taxes?

If you want to finally get your 2012 taxes filed this year,  the following steps will help;

  1. Create an account  with PriorTax. To do so,  select the prior year  from the drop down menu and create a User ID and Password.
  2. Be sure to have any important information on hand, including the past year’s W-2s, social security numbers, etc.
  3. Start filling in the online application. The tax return application is designed  to make filing your taxes a simple and quick process!
  4. Once you’re finished filling in the online application, be sure to submit your information.
  5. Your return will be reviewed by our tax experts and a copy of your completed 2012 return will become available for download.
  6. Print your tax return and mail it to the IRS. This is the most important step. (The deadline to e-file 2012 taxes has passed, explaining why you’ll have to use snail mail.)
  7. Pay your tax due if you have any.
  8. Take another deep breath and realize your late taxes are filed! 


Don’t owe the IRS any tax? Good news, you won’t have to pay any penalties or interest. If the opposite is true and you do owe, you may have to pay a failure-to-file penalty, a failure-to-pay penalty and interest. Considering these penalties increase as time passes, it’s best to file and pay your tax due as soon as possible.

Can I Still Get My 2012 Tax Refund?

The last day to file and claim your 2012 tax refund was April 15th, 2015. Due to the IRS’ statute of limitations you are given three years from the tax season’s deadline date to claim your refund.

This, unfortunately, doesn’t give you a free pass. You should still file your late tax returns seeing as they are used for a number of different validation reasons. Just to name a few:

  • applying for a mortgage loan
  • proof of income for a car loan
  • proof of income for financial aid

Use this as a tip for the future. Sooner or later you will have to file your 2012 taxes. Get it out of the way now! If you have any questions while filing your late tax return with PriorTax, our tax experts are available via phone, live chat and email to help you.




Tags: , ,

24 Responses to “How To File 2012 Taxes in 2015”

  1. Emmanuel Swindler says:

    Good post. I will be going through some of these issues as well..

  2. Nicholas says:

    The tax deadline is almost here and i still haven’t filed my 2012 taxes. Do I have to have them in before the April 15th deadline? Or because they are already a year late do I just file them at anytime? If the former is the case how do I get an extension? You’re help is greatly appreciated.

    • admin says:

      Hi Nicholas,
      For 2012 returns, the April 15 deadline does not effect you. Since the 2012 return is already late, it doesn’t really matter when you file (unless you have tax due then your penalties will increase as time passes). Regardless, I suggest filing your taxes sooner rather than later so you can be caught up.

  3. Jhoanna Almonte says:

    I filed for my 2012 taxes this year how long does it take to get the refund back ?

    • admin says:

      Hi Jhonanna,
      Since you need to paper file prior year returns, it will take much longer than e-filing current year taxes. I would guess somewhere around 6-8 weeks.

  4. toi duncan says:

    Is there a way to check the status of your snail mail 2012 returns submitted in 2014?

    • admin says:

      Hi Toi,

      Good question…The IRS “Where’s My Refund?” tool helps filers check the status of their refund for the most recent tax year that they have on file. Therefore, if you filed your 2012 tax return and then filed your 2013 tax return, the refund status of your 2012 return would not be provided and only your 2013 return would be. However, if you still haven’t filed your 2013 return, the information regarding the status of your 2012 will appear. If this is the case, I suggest going to the IRS “Where’s MY Refund?” page.

      Just a side note, it usually takes the IRS about 6 weeks to process an accurately completed past year tax return.

      Best of luck!

  5. ME says:

    Due to health issues, I disnt get 2″12 filed before Oct 15th. I mailed my 2012 Return on the 28th of April. I have 2013 completed and ready to efile. Should I wait until 2012 is commeted befoe submitting 2013?

    • admin says:

      Hi there,
      It depends on your situation. Do you owe taxes for your 2013 return (or do you think you will)? If so, I would suggest filing your 2013 taxes and paying your tax due ASAP. The penalties for the amount of your tax due increase as time passes regardless of having an 2013 extension or not.

      If you are expecting a refund for your 2013 taxes or already paid your 2013 tax due, you can do as you mentioned, hold off on filing your 2013 taxes until the IRS receives your 2012 return that you mailed in, although you do not need to do so.

  6. jenna says:


    Just filed my 2012 taxes with prior tax. I owed money in 2012 ( I know, I know).

    I am getting a refund for 2013. I have an extension for 2013 so I haven’t filed yet. I’m wondering: Should I wait until the IRS has received my 2012 before I filed my 2013?

    They’re gonna take my 2013 refund to pay most of 2012, but I’m just trying to figure out the best order to do this in. If it matters. etc.

    • admin says:

      Hi Jenna,
      It happens…. But hey, thanks for preparing your 2012 taxes with us!

      To answer your question…It depends… Do you owe taxes for your 2013 return (or do you think you will)? If so, I would suggest filing your 2013 taxes and paying your tax due ASAP. Why? Well, the penalties for the amount of your tax due increase as time passes regardless of having an extension or not.

      If you are expecting a refund for your 2013 taxes or already paid your 2013 tax due, you can do as you mentioned, hold off on filing your 2013 taxes until the IRS receives your 2012 return that you mailed in. If you do this, just be sure to file your 2013 taxes before October 15 (the extension deadline).

      If you’re not sure if you have tax due or not for your 2013 return, I would suggest getting started on your 2013 return by logging in to your PriorTax account and selecting “Current Year 2013″ from the “Tax Year” drop down menu on the Sign In Page. Then, you can enter all of your information and view the federal estimate of your tax refund or tax due before actually submitting/ paying for the return. Then, once you’re ready to file, you can just log back on, pay and submit!

      Hope that helps! Best of luck!

  7. Arthur says:

    I filed my 2012 taxes on 3/21/2014. Received my state refund on 4/28/2014. It’s 7/5/2014 and I still haven’t received my federal. Anyone else having this sort if luck?

  8. Ash says:

    I didn’t work in all of 2012, and I know it’s not necessary to file. But for the sake of keeping records etc… I was wondering when is the absolute cut off for filing 2012?

    • admin says:

      Hi Ash,

      If you’re getting a refund on your 2012 tax return, you have until April 15, 2016 (October 15, 2016 if you filed for an extension) to file the return before your refund is no longer attainable.

  9. A L Legacy says:

    I filed 2012, and the irs mailed me four letters asking for a -week wait as they were terribly busy. The fifth letter said, ‘we can’t find anything for you here’ {paraphrased}.

    2013, I had a monumental family crisis, followed immediately, in early 2014 by cancer and blah blah blah.

    So, while I worked only minimally in 2013, I got a “Letter on Non-Filing Status” for both 2012 and 2013.

    Now, for the most part, things are back to normal and I’m even more confused by taxes than I was before.

    I want to claim my 2 year-old granchild who was born in late September 2012, but the eic worksheet says that the child does not qualify if not disabled. I’m terribly confused.

    And now it’s time to file 2014, and I am about as lost as a feather in a tsunami in regards to properly filing three years worth of taxes.


  10. greysy says:

    Hi I have a question when I got separeted my ex husbend told me that I never got my w2 forms for 2006_2007 when actually he didnt wanted to give it to me to he hide my w2forms on till know he whent to drop of a bunch of my emails to my moms house and there it was my w2 forms for those years do you thing is supper late for me to file 2006_2007taxes …

    • admin says:

      Hi there,
      When it comes to filing taxes, it’s always better to file late than to never file at all! You should file your late tax return for 2006/2007 as soon as possible. With PriorTax, you can easily prepare these tax returns online. Once you’ve entered all the tax information for the corresponding year, our tax team will prepare your return and make it available for download. After, you’ll simply need to print, sign and mail the returns to the IRS (and if applicable, your state). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our support team via phone, email or chat! Best of luck!

  11. rob bev says:


    I thought my dad, who usually handled my taxes completed mine in 2012, but it turns out he didn’t. I didn’t owe any money and was expecting a refund, and I saw that I could still file. I completed the return and sent it in 2 day Priority mail to the IRS in March. I didn’t hear anything back for awhile so I checked the tracking number and found out today (April 18th) that it never delivered. With the three year rule, do I have til April 15th, 2016 for my 2012 taxes since they were due on April 15th, 2013 or did I just lose $5k due to the post office? Thanks!

    • admin says:

      Hello Rob,

      No worries! You have until April 15th, 2016 to file and receive your 2012 refund. If you need help completing any other returns, feel free to create an account with us and we will help you out!

  12. Mstwanttoknow says:

    Can I e-file my 2013 taxes and how long does it take to get them back since it’s been two years?

    • admin says:


      Unfortunately, October 15th, 2014 was the absolute last day for you to e-file your 2013 tax return as an individual. That’s because the IRS shuts down their e-file system on this date each year. You can still prepare your 2013 tax return online. You’ll just need to download, print, sign, and mail it to the IRS. Create an account with Priortax today and our tax experts will assist you via free phone, live chat and email support.

  13. Terri says:

    If I filed a late return how can I check to see if they have received it or accepted it since you can’t check online for back years?

    • admin says:

      Hi Terri,

      It can be a frustrating process waiting for a refund, especially if you can’t check the daily status of it!

      When filing prior year tax returns, the IRS advises that you should wait 4-6 weeks before calling them to check the status. Although they do not have an automated tool to assist you, their representatives DO have access to the status of your return on their end. You just want to be sure that you provide them adequate time to begin the process and get your return into their system.

Leave a Reply