PriorTax | Additional Child Tax Credit - Form 8812

Additional Child Tax Credit - Form 8812

If the amount of your Child Tax Credit exceeds the amount of income tax you owe, you may be able to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit and get a refund. After you have completed the Child Tax Credit Worksheet, use Form 8812 to determine if you can take the additional credit.

The Additional Child Tax Credit is only available to taxpayers with a qualifying child - under 17 before the end of the year, a resident or citizen of the U.S., and claimed as a dependent on your return.

The size of the refund depends on your total earned income and the amount of social security and Medicare taxes you paid. You could receive up to 15% of your total earned income over $11,750 and under the limitation of $110,000 for married filers or $75,000 for single heads of household.