I am unemployed; do I have to pay taxes?

You are only legally required to file a return if your income is above $9,500 for single filers or $19,000 for married couples filing jointly (see Chart A in the 1040 Instructions for details). Be aware that unemployment benefits are considered taxable income. Even if you are not required to, filing a return could be beneficial, especially if you qualify for the Earned Income Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, American Opportunity Credit, First-Time Homebuyer Credit, Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels, Adoption Credit, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax, or Health Coverage Tax Credit.