Did you forget to file a prior year tax return?
Are you wondering if you can file a tax return all the way back, say, 6 years? The answer is yes, you can! You can file prior year taxes dating back to 2005 with PriorTax.
File Prior Year Taxes for 2005-2012 on PriorTax
By law, the IRS may assess penalties to taxpayers for both failing to file a tax return and for failing to pay taxes they owe by the deadline. Therefore, if you have not filed taxes from 2005, 2006, etc. it’s best do so now (or as soon as possible) on PriorTax.
The Law and Statue of Limitations Regarding Taxes
- You have three years to claim your tax refund. For example, the last day to claim 2010 tax refund is April 15, 2013
- The IRS has three years to audit your tax return. That’s three years from the date you filed your tax return.
- The IRS has ten years to collect liable tax money. This is ten years from the date the tax liability was finalized (for example, from the date the tax was filed).
How to Get Started Filing Prior Year Tax Returns
- Gather together W-2s or 1099 forms for those tax years.
- If eligible for deductions and credits, gather receipts and records proving eligibility to claim.
- Create an account on PriorTax for the selected year and get started! PriorTax can help you file previous tax returns dating back to 2005!
What to do After Submitting
Once you have submitted the tax return for 2005 or any year after with PriorTax, there are a few points to remember;
- If you owe additional income tax for any prior year, include the largest payment amount possible, in order to reduce interest charges.
- Monthly interest chargers on unpaid tax penalties do not stop accruing until the tax is paid.
- After the IRS receives the tax return you filed, you will receive a notice of the penalty and charges.
Missing Tax Documents from Previous Years?
Maybe you lost them. Maybe the dog ate them. Whatever your situation may be, you can request a copy any missing tax documents from the IRS of for the past ten years. To do so;
- Fill out Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return (to request W-2s, 1099s and 1098s). This may take the IRS up to 45 days to process.
If you haven’t filed your tax return for a previous year, chances are it’s probably been on the back of your mind for some time. If the tax return is for 2005 or after, why not clear it from your mind and get it out of the way now? PriorTax will help you file prior year tax returns and you’ll be able to cross something of your “To Do” list!
Photo via Philip Taylor on Flickr